Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 2 Adventures!

Today, I woke up and decided it was time to get some real food. I walked across the street to Costco, and picked up some necessary items, and as much as I could hold. While in the store, I was leaning into the freezer to pick up a bag of chicken, when an African American woman came alongside my cart and said, "No, no, no, this is a not good. Do you know how easily you could have been robbed?" hahaha We were the only ones in the aisle and so I kind of laughed and said, "But I trust you!" :) She and I had a couple of good laughs and she gave me some good advice, but I was grateful for her help. I then carried my box of items back to my apartment and met up with the other girls to go to the Museums and the Mall.

We got out of the metro at the Smithsonian exit and this was the first thing I saw. Beautiful isn't it? There were people playing kickball, tourists, music, markets, and so much history I had to catch my breath!
After walking across the field, we decided to go to the National Museum of American History. We first saw the President's wives' dresses and then slowly went through each of the exhibits for a couple hours. It was so nice to not be in a hurry. The dress pictured above belongs to our current First Lady, Barack Obama's wife.

After walking around for awhile, we started getting hungry so we headed over to the Old Post Office to get some food. We passed by this guy playing the drums and he was amazing! We also passed by someone begging for money, and when we didn't give him any, we got a few choice words said to us which made us feel that we made the right decision. We continued on our journey for food until we got to this grand building pictured below for lunch. (I got a Turkey Avocado sandwich).We then ended the day by paying a visit to Julia Child's kitchen and then departed for home where we got ready for our New Year's Eve! My roommate, Karen McKay, had arrived and we went to the Stake Singles' Dance. It turned out to be a fun evening and we even met a few new faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment