Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Will Never Have This Moment Ever Again!

My lovely roommate pointed this fact out to me tonight and I realized that it has been a long time since I last blogged.

I have been going through so many different emotions during the past couple weeks ranging from excited to nervous, angry to joyful, stressed to hopeful, and everything in between. It has been a rough couple of weeks getting my feet wet in teaching, but I am finally starting to feel like I am grasping the strategies. I am slowly building up relationships with the students and getting to know their individual needs. I didn't realize how much I would actually experience while being out here and there have been moments when I've looked at the planes flying by wishing I was on one, but I also knew that I needed to continue pushing until I conquered my weaknesses and grew as a person. While it has been difficult, I have also seen so many blessings in my life. There are hundreds throughout the day that I know are tender mercies from my Heavenly Father helping me remember that I am not alone and that He is aware of what I am feeling. My testimony has been growing in ways I didn't think possible and I am so grateful for this aspect of growth in my life. I would like to share a few of these simple blessings that I have had in my life that have helped me make it through these past few weeks.

First of all, every morning I get to take the metro to school and on the way, there is a certain portion of the metro tracks that takes us above ground while we pass over the Potomac River. This is the view from the metro one morning this past week. It is definitely my favorite part of the trip and I get to see it twice each day. On this particular occasion, the fog was covering the river while the sun was rising over the city and it was absolutely breathtaking.Next, there is an older woman in our classroom, or Grandma as the kids call her, and she picks us up from the metro each morning. She then drops us off at the school and saves us about a mile walk or 20 minutes. I am so grateful for this act of service and she is super helpful throughout the day in the classroom.

Once we get in the school, there is this cute little old man who gives me a hug each and every day. He also continually expresses how beautiful he thinks I am and that I make his day brighter. I don't know what I did to make him this happy, but he definitely helps me on those days that I need a hug. He is just a cute little old man (one of the grandparents), but I appreciate this and look forward to seeing his smile each day.

Throughout the days, there are moments when I am so excited to be teacher, and others when I would rather leave the room for good, but this past week has had more good moments than bad which is definitely an improvement. For example, on Friday, I had 3 students tell me they loved me! It was so rewarding and blocked out any other bad moments that had occurred that day. I feel like they are starting to get to know me as a person, and it makes teaching so much more enjoyable!

Finally, I have been blessed with so many supportive people in my life. I have amazing roommates, friends, and family. I truly couldn't have done any of this without their constant support and love. I have not gone one day without a phone call, text, note, or email expressing a supportive comment or loving gesture and I will forever be grateful for each of these. Each one strengthened me and got me through the rough patches.

Each morning on my way to school, I have the opportunity to read a few verses of the Book of Mormon and without fail, I end up reading a certain scripture that helps me that day, week, or at that particular moment. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father and His knowledge of me, my needs, and my daily prayers. I feel so blessed and I know that I can accomplish anything with His help.

I have learned to not be so hard on myself when a lesson doesn't go as well as planned, and I am learning to leave school at school, and to find hobbies instead of dwelling on the classroom every second of my day. I might actually survive! :)

I need to remember that this is a chance of a lifetime, and just like my roommate pointed out, "I will never have this moment ever again!" I need to take full advantage of each moment of every day and love it! Life truly is wonderful, a gift, and a blessing. I look forward to all of my future experiences and growth that will occur. Thank you for all of you who continue to support me, you know who you are and I love you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment